background

August 13, 2010

How Many Miles?

24,884. That's how many miles Carl and I have driven to see each other since becoming long-distance 2 years ago. And yes, I'm a dork and actually sat down and tried to figure out an exact number. And thus, my blog title was born :)


But, I think it's kinda cool to know. I mean, we have both spent a lot of time in the car driving between Chicago, St. Louis, and Iowa. It's a sign of our commitment to each other, because I know that long-distance is not for everybody and sometimes, it doesn't work out. But when we started this journey, we already knew that we wanted to spend forever together (sounds cheesy, but true), and we decided that what wouldn't tear us apart was only gonna make us stronger. And as that mile total has grown, our relationship definitely has as well. 


I don't take him for granted, that's for sure. The summer after we started dating, we literally spent every free second together. And since we had just started dating, it was still exciting, but I know that had we continued that way, things might have lost their flavor after a while. That's where distance has its perks...After I left for college, I quickly realized that we were blessed to be together for over a year. Now, I cherish every moment that we are together, since I know that it might be a few more weeks before I see him again. And distance has a way of keeping things fresh, too. I mean, I feel like a seven-year-old on Christmas morning when I know that Carl is driving to see me and I will soon be wrapped in one of his bear hugs :) It doesn't get much better than that, people.


Don't get me wrong, I know there are people out there who endure much longer distances than Carl and I do, and for much longer time. And to those people, I give major props. It's hard. It takes work. But it has made me love Carl more than I thought possible, and it will make life that much more sweet when we get to be in the same zip code again.

No comments:

Post a Comment