We're pretty much immune to saying goodbye at this point.
I mean, he got in the car and practically drove off before realizing that I was standing there waiting for a hug. Now, I can remember times when it would take some serious effort to hold back the tears until after he drove away. And then there were times when both of us just couldn't help falling apart and leaving would become a drawn-out ordeal, waterworks and all. But now, it's pretty much routine and doesn't have that kind of effect anymore, which is weird. We've been long-distance for 2-1/2 years and I guess in some ways, it's a good thing that we're used to Goodbye because it's hard enough without making it...well, harder. On the other hand, it's kind of sad that it's no big deal, right?
Maybe I'm just a weirdo. Either way, I'm so happy that we both can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Come next August, I'll be student teaching somewhere in the Chicago suburbs, much closer to Carl. At that point, these three years will finally be behind us, and I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment